Thursday, February 9, 2012

Compositions

For this week's assignment, we were told to create a composition using a "harmonic framework," or a series of lines to create shapes that would harmonize the composition. This was the result:
For this painting I wanted to add a story component to the artwork, so I scanned an old pencil drawing of a Maori sea goddess and modified/painted it on photoshop. I wanted there to be a contrast between the seaweed woman's straight posture and her staff's angle, with the curling tendrils to give a kind of disparity to the rules of straight lines. Here's the framework behind the painting:
The second composition using a "harmonic framework" is a picture I took in Williamsburg, VA of a judge's hands in an old court reenactment, writing with a quill and ink. 
I wanted to create the illusion that the ink was dripping down the old man's hands, down the crevices wrinkles in his fingers and onto the paper. I wanted the focal point of the image to be where his two fingers were grasping the quill, as well as the opposition of the lines formed by the quill and the trail of ink. I used the black pen and a little blur tool for the ink. Below is the framework for the composition:





No comments:

Post a Comment